- Named Smart Building Innovator of the Year by Logical Buildings for innovative technology solutions to better manage buildings’ energy consumption.
- Awarded the Silver Sustainable Living Innovation Award from the National Apartment Association for implementation of a water conservation project.
- Obtained third-party assurance that our energy, GHG, and water data is accurate, reliable, and in compliance with standards set forth by the World Resource Institute / World Business Council for Sustainable Development Greenhouse Gas Protocol.
- Installed Smart Building Technology that is expected to reduce common area HVAC energy consumption and expense by 10%-15%.
- Reduced electric demand in 2019 by 4,241 KW through Demand Response programs resulting in over $200K in additional net operating income.
- Issued a $300 million Green Bond, the net proceeds of which were used for eligible green projects.
- Used 25 million gallons of reclaimed water for irrigation in 2019, thereby reducing our consumption of potable water.
Renewable Energy Procurement
We procure energy in deregulated markets and in 2019 we incorporated renewable energy procurement into our overall strategy. In 2019, we procured over 12M kWh of renewable energy credits supporting renewable electric production and offsetting a portion of the environmental impact of our buildings. Our goal is to procure 10% of our total common area electric consumption through renewable energy sources by 2025.
We embrace LEED or an equivalent green certification when possible for significant new developments, demonstrating the high aspiration we have to create innovative communities with minimal environmental impact. Since 2010, UDR has developed, including redevelopment, 22 communities that have obtained sustainability certifications.
13th & Market | 264 homes | LEED Silver
3033 Wilshire | 190 homes | Green Globes
345 Harrison | 585 homes | LEED Silver
399 Fremont | 447 homes | LEED Silver
Beach & Ocean | 173 homes | NGBS - Silver
Capitol View on 14th | 255 homes | LEED Platinum
Channel Mission Bay | 315 homes | LEED Gold
CityLine | 244 homes | LEED Silver
CityLine II | 155 homes | LEED Silver
DelRay Tower | 332 homes | LEED Silver
Los Alisos at Mission Viejo | 320 homes | LEED Silver
OLiVE DTLA | 293 homes | CalGreen
Parallel | 386 homes | CalGreen
Savoye | 394 homes | LEED Silver
Savoye2 | 351 homes | LEED Gold
The Residences at Pacific City | 516 homes | LEED Silver
The Residences on Jamboree | 381 homes | NGBS-Silver
Verve Mountain View | 155 homes | LEED Silver
Vison on Wilshire | 150 homes | LEED Silver
Vitruvian West | 383 homes | LEED Silver